Friday, September 7, 2012

The People and Their Machines

Chinese people stare. They stare at me. A lot. For a long time without blinking. Unlike Western cultures, I don't think it's considered rude. But guess what? If you stare back, smile, wave, and say "knee how" they break into big grins and return the gesture. Ok, so maybe what I'm really saying is 你好, but non-Mandarin readers believe me, it sounds just like I spelled it. I hope to get lots of photos of these fabulous people. Oh! And I also hope to document a whole bunch of practical bikes/scooters/cargo whatevers that they drive/ride/etc. The industrialized world will never exceed the ingenuity of these vehicles!

That helmet should be on her head!
This guy took the prize for most cargo.
We turned down an alley with food vendors selling amazing stuff!
This vendor gave me Chinese dates to try.
The vendors sell out of the backs of trucks, stalls, bikes, or anything.
Knee how!


 

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous shots Carla! Love the motion and ingenuity.
    Dumplings look great, just no shrimp or lobster please!

    ReplyDelete